Transferring files/apps/users from my MBA to my new MBP was so painful that I thought I could share my tips with others.
So here is a list of things I did that made it work using a Thunderbolt cable, I am not sure they are all needed:
- Upgrade both laptops to the latest OS.
- Plug the Thunderbolt cable to both machines (I bought mine at the Apple store: $35 for a 50cm cable!! But you can return it after you used it :)).
- Turn WI-FI off on both Macs.
- Go to Network on both Macs and make sure they both have the Thunderbolt Bridge connection working and assigned an IP address with the same subnet mask 255.255.x.x.
- Turn FileVault off on the source Mac (it will take 20/30 mins).
- Share the entire Macintosh HD drive on the source laptop, readable and writable by everyone.
- Create the very same user on target than on source (don’t think this is needed).
- Add your apple ID for the user on the target laptop.
- Turn Migration assistant on on the source Mac, and follow the wizard until you specify that you want to transfer file *to* another Mac
- Then launch the Migration Assistant on the target Mac and follow the *normal* procedure
Note: Ignore all blog posts that tell you to start the source Mac on Target Disk Mode, this is only for pre Lion and I think will not work with the Migration Assistant anyway.